Rss Feed
  1. The ShiningThe Shining by Stephen King
    My rating: 5 of 5 stars

    Title: The Shining
    Author: Stephen King
    Publisher: Anchor Books
    Num. of Pages: 659 pages
    Published: June 2012 (first published 1977)

    Jack Torrance’s new job at the Overlook Hotel is the perfect chance for a fresh start. As the off-season caretaker at the atmospheric old hotel, he’ll have plenty of time to spend reconnecting with his family and working on his writing. But as the harsh winter weather sets in, the idyllic location feels ever more remote . . . and more sinister. And the only one to notice the strange and terrible forces gathering around the Overlook is Danny Torrance, a uniquely gifted five-year-old

    Review

    Finally I got my hands on this book. After watching the movie, I was so eager to read this book. And guess what? I successfully read a 600+ pages English book in 3 days. Now, that's a personal record.

    I could't help but compared the book and the movie. Both have its own strengths and weaknesses. The movie is more fast paced, thriller centric, with more "action" in the story. While the book is more slow, full of build up and anticipation, and of course more background story.

    There are several differences between the movie and the book. From small thing like Wendy's hair color to bigger one like the twins in the corridor (which is one of the movie's staple, but nowhere to be found at the book). I do would love to see the twins in the novel, but whatever.

    Yeah. These two girls with their "Come play with us" line.


    My favorite difference is Dick Hallorann. Well, I watched the movie first and expected him to die in the novel, but it turned out that he did not and he even became, kind of, a hero for Danny and Wendy. 

    Overall, I give 4 stars for the story and another one for the spoiler above and for how page turning this book was.

    This book is for the following reading challenge:
    - 2013 Read Big Reading Challenge

    View all my reviews

  2. 0 comments :

    Post a Comment